Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #1

Default Patterns to computer

New to saw scrolling and have a question or two.

I own a DW 788 scroll saw. I was given a variable speed footswitch. But I heard these are not good for scrolling. So I am thinking of getting a new one. And my next item is a good light source.

First question, I have a couple of pattern books and would like to transfer them to my computer. Thing is I do not have a scanner. Can anyone recommend a scanner? I tried a few in the past but never got them to work correctly. Running Windows XP Pro.

Second question, I heard some people apply wax to their saw table. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,

Bill
Bdj470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #2

If you can turn the variable speed all the way up or bypass it on the foot pedal it should be ok.
I use a Microtek 4800 scanner. It works good for me.
I use Minwax Paste Finishing Wax on my table, some people use Butcher's Wax, others don't polish theirs. It's personal preference. Try it and see how you like it, just don't use a automotive wax, it may contain silicone which could get into the wood and affect any finish you put on it.

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!
Woodbutcher68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:15 PM   #3

Bill

Welcome to the fun world of scrolling. Woodbutcher gave you some good advice and will second some things. The waxing of the table is to make the wood slide easier when turning. I do not like this because I want more control. But if you are going to wax the table then use a wax that has no silicon in it for this will have an ill effect on the finishing of the piece later on.Some people and I have this on 2 of my saws a piece of plexiglass on the top. I did this because I scroll large pieces at times and this helps support them. You can wax that also.

As far as scanning patterns I would suggest going to Kinkos and making copies of the pattern and filing them away for future. You will get accurate copies every time. I have an Epson Perfection 4180 photo scaner and is excellent in reproducing things and comes with all the necessary material to scan things.

The variable foot switch is not the first choice but like said if you crank it to full speed and leave it and use the speed control on the saw. If you use both you will have a chance of burning the motor out on the saw.

The light is very important. I do not know how good your eye site is but recomend one of the flourescent magnifiers I started out years ago using it for just a light source but now with father time taking over I can't scroll without using the magnifier. If you do not go this way at least get a flourescent light on a swivel so you can attach it to the wall and direct it for best lighting. I recomend flourescent because it will give you a light source that does not produce shadows and is easy on the eyes. You can get daylight lamps and they are great.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:16 PM   #4

Please read the copywrite statement on your pattern books. Some copywrites do not allow electronic storage of the book or parts of it.

T
Forester21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 07:01 PM   #5

I missed the part about lighting. I have the light that came with the DW-788, cool white flourescent ceiling lights and a 500 watt halogen above my saw. Gives me the full spectrum and lots of light.

There's a fine line between woodworking and insanity, I'm just not sure which side of the line I'm on!
Woodbutcher68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 06:29 PM   #6

Thanks to all that replied.

I checked out some magnifing lamps. Most were $80 - 150. There was one I liked but the price was $159. Anyone know of a cheaper lamp. Somewhere on the net I could look at?

Bill
Old 10-10-2005, 06:58 PM   #7

Check out Walmart and or places that sell drafting equipment. That is who uses them alot , Draftsman.
jttheclockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 08:53 PM   #8

Default Patterns to Computer!!!

BDJ470:

Just a word about scanning fretwork into a computer.

Before you purchase a scanner, please find someone who has one, and scan a pattern in. Take it home and look the computer file with your application.

Or just take a digital camera and take a picture of the pattern, and look at with your application. (Stong, even lighting does matter here.)

The point is this, you will end up with a bit-map file of the pattern. The edges are going to be saw-toothed. There will be a lot of 'encoding' noise where the scanning software decided there was a spot, when there wasn't, and no-spot where there should be. (These are also know as 'false-positive' and 'false-negitive'.)

Either way, scanning or digital camera, you will end up with a lot of work cleanning up the file. Mind you not hard work, difficult, or beyond your skill, just time consumming. So before you buy a scanner, try it out. Judge for your self.

Phil
GrayBeard Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 09:06 PM   #9
Banned

Default magnifying lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdj470
Anyone know of a cheaper lamp. Somewhere on the net I could look at?

Bill
Woodcraft has one for $60. www.woodcraft.com Disclaimer: I work part-time at a Woodcraft franchise.
PiALaModem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 10:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayBeard Phil
BDJ470:

Just a word about scanning fretwork into a computer.

Before you purchase a scanner, please find someone who has one, and scan a pattern in. Take it home and look the computer file with your application.
Phil
Thanks I will check that out.