Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jrpeteo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #1

Default Squaring the blade on a dewalt

Hi I have a DeWalt scroll saw, I unfortunately do not have the owners manual as I purchased it locally from someone who lost interest in it and only had it for a year.....but anyway how do I square the blade up with the table, I find my cuts angled on my pieces but more noticeable on thicker pieces.

Thanks, Randy
RandyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Randy first you will need a square then un screw the knob under the table you need loosen it then tilt table till you get it to 90. he is the link to the manual Detail#

Jeff Robinson
Panama City Fl.
Cutting with EX-21
Jeff R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:19 PM   #3

Randy

There are set screws opposite the thumb screws that might need to be adjusted. Use some blue Loctite on the set screws. If you have a set of feeler gauges you can back out the thumb screw and measure them. I think I have .043" from the set screw to the side of the blade holder. I will double check that dimension tomorrow for you.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

Last edited by evilbadger; 06-22-2014 at 10:22 PM.
evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Perpetual Student

Location: Rouzerville, PA - about 20 miles southwest of Gettysburg PA

Here is the source for a PDF of the DW788 Manual. Don't be waylaid by the Spanish - the manual is in english. Amazingly enough, not much on squaring the blade. http://wiki.artisansasylum.com/images/b/bc/DW788.pdf

Then there is Rick's massive amount of DW788 maintenance & service. Here is his page on the DW788 -- Tune
Old 07-08-2014, 07:48 AM   #5

Randy you rec'd great advise above. You can be a contributing factor to what you described above. Make use you are feeding and not pushing the wood directly and straight into the blade and your blade is tensioned properly. Pushing the wood to one side or another or lack of blade tensioning can lead to cuts on a bias.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #6

Randy
After getting as close as you can as described above, do the following.
Take a block of wood about 1 1/2" thick and make a cut straight in about 1/4" deep. Then take the block of wood turn it around against the back of the blade. When the blade goes in straight both front and back, it will be vertical to the saw table.

The next thing is to check for blade movement front to back. Place a business card against the back of the blade and move the blade up and down manually. You will be able to tell how much movement there is. If there is very much movement like 3/32 or so you may want to make some modifications to the saw.

See Rick's website for some instruction on how to do this:

Rick's Scrollsaw

He has instructions on aligning the DeWalt 788 blade. Just scroll down to the reviews in the left column section and look for "dewalt tune up". He has the alignment instructions there. It takes some work with a file. I was able to get my movement down to about 1/32". It will never be perfect with the DeWalt saw because the blade does move in a slight arc.

Also, his website has good videos on many aspects of scroll sawing. I watched every one of them and learned a lot in a short time. You will find the links to these videos and the alignment instructions in the left column.

Hope this helps.
Virgil
vgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:08 AM   #7

I had problems with mine not being square front to back as well. Couldn't make tight turns. It was brand new. I raised the rear by making a new pivot bracket. A prototype from wood first, and then a more permanent one of aluminum. Had to raise the back about 1/4". All is well now.
Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (20.8 KB, 48 views)
mtwoodguy likes this.
jrpeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:01 AM   #8
G'pa scroller

Very good thinking, Pete. I hadn't seen anyone do that, but it sounds like it cured your problem.
Floyd
Old 08-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #9

Sure like Petes idea better than that of those that say to ream out the holes in the front of the saw by the arms...

Kevin
mowerman1193 is offline   Reply With Quote