Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond
Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 10:59 AM   #1

Default Found a great repositional adheasive.

Wow! One night I could not get to sleep so I went to the forums to catch up on things and such. On the site some where there are instructions on how to use a Xyron machine and repositional adheasive to put the pattern on wood. I thought it might be cheaper than getting more large shipping labels. so I ordered a 40 foot roll of this adheasive and tried it out last night. It worked perfect. I still put packing tape over the pattern and such but this is so easy and I'm not sure how long the 40 foot roll will last or how many patterns I can put on wood before I run out. The shipping labels are about $30.00 for 100 sheets and change per package and the Xyron adgeasive was $19. and change not counting tax and the like. At first I was afraid it would not fit my machine and it fit and worked. I bought my Xyron at the Goodwill for about 5 bucks. So far a happy camper. All I have to do is print out the pattern and then run it through the Xyron and then peel off the top coating and peel off the back and stick it to the wood and put the packing tape on and I'm ready to roll. Going to go down to the shop in just a little bit. I'm working on a collapse basket that Steve Good has on his site. It's just a simple one but I cut one out last night and got the angle backwards. So will try going to other way around the circle and see what happens.
woodworker13403A likes this.
Okie (04-23-2014), ray hampton (04-23-2014), Terry Murphy (04-23-2014)
Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
Perpetual Student

Location: Rouzerville, PA - about 20 miles southwest of Gettysburg PA

It gets better, Faye -- How about 20 bucks per roll?

Amazon.com - Xyron Acid-free Repositionable Adhesive Refill Cartridge for XRN900 9-inch Creative Station, 40-feet - Office Products

I have Amazon Prime, so I don't pay shipping but I bet they are cheaper with shipping.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgiro View Post
It gets better, Faye -- How about 20 bucks per roll?

Amazon.com - Xyron Acid-free Repositionable Adhesive Refill Cartridge for XRN900 9-inch Creative Station, 40-feet - Office Products

I have Amazon Prime, so I don't pay shipping but I bet they are cheaper with shipping.
That is exactly what I got but did pay for one day shipping. I'm a prime member so I would have not had to pay for shipping other wise. But I wanted it as I was out of any thing else. So far happy with it but will let you know how long it will last before running out. One thing I did find out is that it will jam if you pull out the pattern if it doesn't go in right or some thing. I did that this a.m. put the handle pattern for the basket in and it didn't go right so I pulled it out and the stuff jammed a little bit so had to take out the cartridge and reinstall it. Love it other wise. Fay
Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #4

Thanks for the tip.
Larry
comreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Jan

I've used one of the Xyron machines for several years. They're great. I don't bother with putting shipping tape on any of my projects. I haven't found a good reason to do so that negates the removal of it.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 PM   #6

Jan I use a product called UnDo. It's a small bottle of stuff you put on items to remove store labels and the like. It works pretty well. It's available in the crafts section at Walmart. I have a half of a bottle left. What I do is peel off the packing tape from my project and then take the top off the bottle and let it drip onto the project around the edges. It will seep into the rest of the label. Then I start to peel off the rest of the paper and it has done me very well. Now that I got this repositional adheasive, I may not go back to the large shipping labels. I like it because you can print a pattern right onto the labels. How ever, using the blue painter's tape would eliminate the use of the UnDo as the label will peel off along with the painter's tape. Will let you know how long this stuff will last and hopefully how many patterns I can do. I save any larger pieces after cutting out the pattern I want to do as I can trace a small pattern on the waste part of any left over scrap I may have that has some repositional adheasive on. Well losing daylight so I best get off this thing. I don't have a ceiling light in my room. Just a small lamp and it's hard to see what I'm typing... good night Fay
Old 04-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #7
Jan

I print my pattern on plain copier paper, cut it apart and run it through the Xyron machine which, as you know, puts the adhesive on the back of the plain paper. I stick the pattern onto the wood, cut the piece and peel off the pattern easily without using any products like mineral oil to remove it. No packing tape of any kind is necessary so far as I can tell. The truth is, I'm lazy enough to look for the easiest way to do things so I don't have to over-exert myself.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:06 PM   #8

I agree Jan, I some times do the same thing. I haven't tried scrolling with out the packing tape. It's great that I do not have to go through one more step with the UnDo... The pattern will peel off with no problems..Well going down to the shop in a bit.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #9

I just put Blue Painters tape on the wood, use Ardeen's Tack spray glue and spray the pattern, attach it to the wood and cut away. The blue tape prevents any glue residue on the work piece Couldn't be any simpler and very cheap. The blue tape peels right off with ease.
ToverT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:26 AM   #10
Perpetual Student

Location: Rouzerville, PA - about 20 miles southwest of Gettysburg PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fay P View Post
That is exactly what I got but did pay for one day shipping. I'm a prime member so I would have not had to pay for shipping other wise. But I wanted it as I was out of any thing else. So far happy with it but will let you know how long it will last before running out. One thing I did find out is that it will jam if you pull out the pattern if it doesn't go in right or some thing. I did that this a.m. put the handle pattern for the basket in and it didn't go right so I pulled it out and the stuff jammed a little bit so had to take out the cartridge and reinstall it. Love it other wise. Fay
How long it lasts depends on how much you use it.

Here is a trick we learned from a JGR class:

Get a Scotch Repositional Glue Craft Stick. You'll find them at any Michaels, AC Moore, Staples, or other Office/craft stores.

When you have a bunch of small patterns to glue, Use the glue stick to stick them face down on a letter sized sheet of scrap paper. Just touch the face of the pattern with the stick to hold it in place on the paper. A little smear will do the job.

Once you have your small patterns attached to the paper, flip it over, so the patterns are face up and feed it through the Xyron. If you don't have enough patterns to fill a whole 8.5X11 sheet of paper, trim the scrap sheet so you aren't wasting Xyron material.

After you peel the plastic sheet from the paper, gently peel the scrap paper sheet off and you'll have your patterns ready to apply to the wood.

Just remember - you only need a small smear of Craft Stick glue to hold the pattern to the scrap sheet for feeding into the Xyron. You'll be surprised at how many small patters will fit on an 8.5X11 sheet of paper and you'll use less Xyron paper in the long run.

Have fun with it.
Fay P (04-25-2014), Rolf (08-06-2014)