Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #1

Question Newbie with scroll saw problems

Hi, I'm new to this forum, and fairly new to scroll sawing. I (or should I say my husband) cut letters and then I decoupage them with fun papers and sell them. Well, on Saturday we went to turn on the scroll saw, a RYOBI 16" machine, and it was acting funny. It sounded like there wasn't enough power. Could it be the motor brushes? We ordered a couple online, and hope that replacing them will fix the issue, but if that's not it, I don't know what else it could be.
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Ifi
ifistav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #2

I'm certainly no expert but my experiences with motor brushes is that they're good until they go bad at which point the motor stops working. Is it running slower or stop when you start sawing into the wood?

Dave
davem_or is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davem_or For This Useful Post:
ifistav (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:55 PM   #3

Yes, that's what it's doing, it's going slower, or not even starting. I didn't even put the wood in it because it was doing that and I didn't want to ruin my project. So sounds like replacing the motor brushes will fix this? I sure hope so!
Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 04:42 PM   #4

It does not sound like brushes are going to fix the problem. When brushes go bad the motor will not run. Have you tried blowing the dust out of it especially the areas near the switch and speed controls?

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 04:51 PM   #5

It may be a speed controller problem.
15" Jet
Jim Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 05:01 PM   #6

Sounds like the last gasp of a old used saw. Given that the saw is inexpensive, you might want to consider buying a new one depending on how often you use it. If you use it a lot then Porter Cable makes a nice one with much quicker blade changes for under $200. Good Luck
Dutchman118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 10:56 PM   #7

Dutchman, it's not that old, that's why I'm perplexed. I got it last spring, so it's just about a year old. And it hasn't gotten that much use, because I'm just starting on my business, I'm not getting regular orders yet, hehe.
Jim, if it's a speed control problem, how is that fixed?
Tim, I don't know. Last time I tried turning it on, nothing happened. Maybe the brushes were completely done by then?
I thank you all for your replies. For now the only thing I can do is wait for the brushes to arrive before the end of the week and see what happens.
Ifi
Old 04-08-2014, 12:17 AM   #8

From what you said in your last post it is not the brushes. Brushes last hundreds to thousands of hours so if the saw has very little use it is not going to be the brushes. I think Ryobi has a 3 year warranty on power tools. It could be the speed controller or even the circuit board.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 01:24 AM   #9
scroll saw newbie

If the brushes are not making contact or making poor contact they will look dull on the end that makes contact with the commutator (due to arcing)...if they are shiny on the ends then they are good...not sure if the motor has a capacitor but there is a speed control potentiometer and a circuit board that could be the problem...also make sure the motor spins freely and there's nothing binding...listen/feel for anything rough...
Also check that the brushes aren't binding in their slots...could be rust related if you're in a high humidity area...

"tongue-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit...I"----pf

Last edited by nikon_sam; 04-08-2014 at 01:30 AM.
nikon_sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #10

Go to w.w.w.scrollsaw.com Rick's scroll saw site ,he has the very best info on any number of saws ,spend some time there ,you will love all that is there!