Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #1

Default Industrial/professional saw?

I have been using a scroll saw for airplane model building since the 80ies but I am amazed what can be done with them.
I was only looking to upgrade my little saw because I need some more power and the ability to use plain blades but now I am lost in the world of scroll saws.

My saw is a Hobby Lux 450 but the 3" blades it uses a very hard to come by in Europe. At my old school (I am a teacher btw) we had Hegner saws but since I now teach in another school I am stuck with some cheap saws...Holzmann DKS20
Those got speed control but are generally crappy. I didn't even look if blade adapters came with them.
For the most part they are working for what I do...(cutting stations for boats and kayaks, mostly 12mm phenol coated plywood).
Now I would like to do some more things in Plywood, mechanical models mostly and cut some metal.
I was looking at various saws and found out that there are more mechanical methods to run a saw. Now I love machines and last year it was a jig saw I was shopping for and I ended up with the Festool Carvex PS 420 EBQ.

First I thought I could do nothing wrong with the Hegner but then there are those hybrid parallel arm scroll saws which can't be found in Europe.
Shortly after I found out that oscillating band scroll saws are even more precise...those I can't even find apart from one home built.
If I have to build my own to get a really good saw I am in for that too.

Is there any example for an oscillating band scroll saw you know off?

Thank you
heavyweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #2

There is only one that I know of and the owner of the company is not taking orders because of health issues. I know he was trying to sell the company but have not heard of anybody buying it yet. Here is a link to the website it might help give you some ideas if you decide to build one yourself. Lowest vibration, Precision bearings, More safety features.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evilbadger For This Useful Post:
heavyweather (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #3

Thank you, that's what I was looking for.
I also found some video of the Eclipse now.

The other saw I found is too much for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqH51cqntgk

Here somebody is building one...I will watch this.
http://www.celticcrosseng.com/buildi...saw-or-jigsaw/

The wooden saw I was talking about can be found on youtube and woodengears.
Mikiono's homemade scrollsaw
heavyweather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heavyweather For This Useful Post:
Leshko (07-30-2014), Rolf (04-07-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 10:21 PM   #4

Thanks for the links you have found. I am trying to decide if I want to buy a new saw or build one, judging by the names of the saws you posted you are located somewhere across the pond, I'm not sure if Ernie would ship to you even if he was still taking orders but it never hurts to try. The one in the YouTube link looks like a really nice machine.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #5

The large Saw on the first youtube video is a Industrial saw made in China I believe. I have visited Companies in China and Viet Nam that use these very large machines...nice, but a bit more than I would use these days. But I sure do like my two Hegners. I use the belt driven their industrial model machine the most, and have for the past nearly 15 years.