Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 AM   #1

Default Hi I have PTSD and am new

Like the title says I suffer from major depressive disorder and ptsd. I locked myself away in my home for about 5 years. My wife finally was able to get me out and when she did she lost her job. We did get a severance check and feeling useless I bought a shop with a whole round of tools.

I have had woodworking experience before, upholstery and wood repair. So when I got my tools my ptsd has robbed me of some memories so I am just getting in the groove. So far I have made 2 crosses, 2 rubberband hand guns, and something interesting it is a wolf art that I just thought was going to be practice cuts?

My questions are this:
Is there money in scrollsawing? Is there hot items during certain types of years?
I have noticed sometimes if I have a straight line I use a table saw or miter saw so im not putting wear on my scrollsaw is this normal? Where do you guys find your woods? I use to be in construction but some of the beautiful art I have seen is not plywood or 2X4s? What kind of wood to sell items on?
Oh and I keep seeing patterns of placques that have the wood around it but instead of say a wolf being cut out it is black? What kind of scrollsawing is that?

One note I was fortunate to pick up the scroll saw but I have found I have fallen in love with it? Its a very attractive hobby I definately have fun.

Thanks Arran
chronykle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #2

Hi Arran, welcome to this great and friendly forum. Firstly let me say that I am sorry to hear of your illness but I congratulate you for trying to put it all behind you. You have picked a good hobby to get into as for me I can attest that it is good therapy for the mind and body. I have a very sick wife and have been her full time care giver, when she is asleep I go out to the shop to release my stress level, Enough said. I cannot answer your question on sales of your items as for me I keep it strickly as a hobby as I have found that most people will not pay you what you want as they do not factor in the cost of material or your labor. That's my view but others on this site may have a different perspective.

I encourage you to explore all avenues, maybe go to fairs in your area to get a feel on what scrollsaw items are selling for. Members of this forum are very helpful so I encourage you to pick their brain. Ask questions and I assure you that you will get a lot of imput. Good Luck and God Bless.

Mike
campasano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:17 PM   #3

Hi Arran - welcome to the group. I will try and answer the questions I can and help out a llittle. There can be money in Scroll Art/Intarsia, it just depends on what you make and where you sell it. I stick mostely to craft shows but recently had some items sell in an Art Gallery during a show. You have to see whats going on around you, pay attention to the craft shows and such. I mostely stick to the end of the year Craft Shows and ornaments are the big seller for me at that time. Crosses are always good and always in demand. The more fancy the better. Also, for me, portraits were a big seller at the craft shows I went to last year, but beware, they are kinda hit or miss.

I mostely use lumber and not plywood for my portraits, crosses and ornaments. Lowes or Home depot have some Poplar, Red Oak, and the local Lowes here has Aspen. I shop at a local lumber yard that I get some Cedar, Maple, Ambrosia Maple, African Mohagany and others. I also use the internet, ebay, for wide Cedar, Purple Heart and recently Spalted Hackberry.
The blacked out Wolf is probably cut out with a black backing. It could be segmentation but I would think its just the backing.
Dont hesitate with any questions as this forum has some of the best advisors that you could want. Welcome and post lots of pictures.

Last edited by bcdennis; 03-25-2014 at 12:18 PM. Reason: I cant spell
bcdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:36 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum from TN. We own an art & craft store, and I have my projects on display at the store. I do it as a hobby and if something sells, I can buy more wood.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 01:06 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick response. I will look into lowes and home depot. I wonder if lumber liquidators would have old flooring that might be good? Yeah I do have to find a way to make money but im finding that the love of nature is drawing me ever closer and showing slow respect for my wood. I will be doing all sorts of different types of wood working from dollhouses to scrolling work and I can build a bout anything I just have to find a good niche and I wonder if this may be the niche? Hmmmm ill keep on trying maybe get some tips from people?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

I have a ton of old pine logs how do you think they would work over the long run if I sliced a piece to use and about what thickness do you think I would need so I dont tear up my scroll saw? I was thinking about making fairy and troll doors and using it for silhouettes and I already have the wood is what I am thinking. I have a bunch of laminated 1X2s of cedar? How would these wood choices work that I have? I am thinking money going out vs money coming in and of course lots of practicing. I do have a chain saw to slice the wood with. I also have a power planer to take it down in thickness quickly? I cant work away from the home so I am trying to setup my own business I know over time ill get better but when I am at home I have nothing to do and its been like that for 5 years but I find a peace in my new shop I have not felt in a longtime.
Old 03-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #7

It would help to know where you are so we can recommend local sources of higher quality wood. Pine does look really nice cut with a scrollsaw, look at some of the baskets and shells cut from it in the 3D forum. I've had a few baskets sell at a local gallery, might try doing some of those. Be sure the pine is dried well before scrolling it, don't want it to warp or crack after putting all that work into it. Most of the pine I use is from leftover construction wood.
Gary beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 10:35 PM   #8

I haven't been scrolling long enough to have anything to sell. A friend at work sells $400 to $600 every craft show he goes to.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:47 PM   #9

Lowes will get you get started, they have some oak plywood, and some birch plywood in 2x2 sheets as well as 2x4 sheets, these are good for some things and starter projects, its just bascially a veenered plywood with a junky core, but I use them for all my projects and get good reviews, there are online source for woods, you can google scroll saw wood. You might check you local listings for wood sources I have one in my area to get exotics and different species of woods, but don't have a band saw yet to resaw it to thickness as they sell it in 1 inch or thicker. There are also lots of sources for patterns as well.
dirtrider73068 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirtrider73068 For This Useful Post:
Terry Murphy (03-27-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 11:28 PM   #10

check out your local cabinet shops. a little sweet talk or a couple small scroll sawn knick knacks and they let you dumpster dive their scraps. They can't use shorts or pieces with defects at certain intervals. I pick up alot of Oak,Cherry,poplar, and maple this way
iwoodb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arran, ironhorse, ptsd