Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #1

Default A couple basic questions

I am new to scroll sawing and had three questions. I have seen a number of places to buy patterns. How can I tell what the copyright restrictions are?

I have seen some videos using plywood and other using solid wood. What are the advantages / disadvantages of each?

I live in Arizona and getting good wood out here has been a challenge. Any suggestion where to get good wood for scrolling?

Thank you for your help

Alan
Alanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:00 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum Alan.

There have been some threads on copywrite laws here in the past. I don't make stuff to sell, so I don't really pay too much attention, but I did find this thread that may be helpful;

Copyrights

Using plywood or solid wood is often a matter of personal tastes and availability. Generally speaking, plywood offers advantages of stability and cross grain strength, that can be especially important when cutting thin stock and/or very delicate & fragile patterns. Plywood is also a good choice if the piece is to be painted. Lots of scrollers use baltic birch plywood for all sorts of projects, but you can use plywood with hardwood veneer to get the look of solid wood. You just have to be aware that the exposed edges will show the layers of ply and that isn't always desireable.

I use solid wood where ever possible, because I like the look. Solid wood can be resawn & planed to any thickness required. It can also be sanded & shaped in ways that plywood can't. The variety of species and natural colors that are readily available to most folks is generally greater than that of plywood. I personally don't care for the look of the exposed edges on material thicker than say 1/4" or thereabouts, so for me, solid wood is the material of choice for just about anything thicker than that.

As for wood sources in Arizona, I get all my wood locally, so I can't help you much there. Plenty of folks on the forum order wood via the internet, so hopefully someone will provide links for you.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:13 AM   #3

I've bought 4 times from Ocooch Hardwoods (Ocooch Hardwoods - Supplier of Thin Wood for Scroll Sawing, Carving Blocks, Intarsia wood, Plywood for scroll sawing, and more.) and have been happy each time. Heck of a lot simpler than buying thicker stock and trying to resaw/plane it down myself.
Rob1872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:29 AM   #4

I agree with Rob, they are very good and the wood as the best.
scrollerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:22 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum from TN. I think Bill answered your questions. As for wood, I too buy from Ocooch Hardwoods. I use solid woods as I do a lot of intarsia.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:18 PM   #6

Thank you very much for the fast response to my questions

Alan
Alanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #7

Only thing I can add to the copyright thing, most of the places I've bought patterns from let you cut and sell the finished project. The only thing you can not sell is the pattern itself, in any form. So if your looking to get patterns to cut stuff to sell, check out Shelia Landry, Sue Mey, Scroller etc. You won't be disappointed.
“We stand upon the precipice of change. The world fears the inevitable plummet into the abyss. Watch for that moment... and when it comes, do not hesitate to leap. It is only when you fall that you learn whether you can fly.”
-- Flemeth

robs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
Just Goofy !

Where are you located in Arizona, Alan ? I have heard that Phoenix has a wood store, but, not familiar with it. I agree with you about Az. not having a supply of good wood. Just aren't any trees here. I order mine when I need a supply. I like Baltic birch ply & oak ply also. Depends on what you are making. The Home Depot & Lowes is not a good supplier of craft wood. It has always been either in bad shape or just not good quality plywood. They don't have anything in solids except Oak boards. Good Luck.

Visit me at--- www.woodcraftsnquilts.com
ubgoofy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:54 AM   #9

Woodfinder: Find Sources of Lumber, Veneer and Sawmill Services - put your zip code in and you will get a list of wood suppliers near you.

copyrights - each pattern you purchase should have a copyright statement with it. If it doesn't, ask the designer and they will let you know.

T
Forester21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #10

Alan, Welcome.

The index to the left of this page just above the magazines and Found the Fox you will find the Sections section. Patterns are listed there. Also, here are links for free patterns:

http://stevedgo.ipower.com/cat/

Free Scroll Saw Patterns by Arpop

I also, get wood from Ocooch Hardwoods. Sloan's Woodshop also has wood available. Sloan's Woodshop - " The Scroll Saw Store "

Tags
patterns, wood