Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Default How meticulously should I sand my crafts

So around where i live we don't have many craft stores to go and look at samples of other crafts so I don't know how well my final product should be sanded. I am new at this type of art but do my projects that i have completed look pretty good. I have a seller in line for my work but don't want to hand him crap. How well does a final project need to be sanded. Do all the cut marks need to be sanded out, or does that add to the effect that it is "human made" and not created by a program and laser. In the middle of letters and stuff does it need to be sanded completely smooth because many of these holes are difficult to get to? So basically what needs to be sanded completely smooth and what can be left with some minor cut marks.
Thanks
thenew_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Puzzle Making Muggle

Are you applying a finish on your piece? If so, good sanding is much more important.

I think, in the end, the better sanded your project is, the more proud you'll be of it. The secret is finding the right tools to do the job easily.

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:48 PM   #3
Mark Davidson

I usually judge it by the fact that it doesn't look or feel like it needs sanded anymore. Some pieces take a little sanding, some take a lot.
markdavd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #4

It depends on what you are sanding. I do a lot of fretwork with 1/4 inch plywood. The plywood doesn't require much sanding to look good.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:23 AM   #5

Only You can make the decision as to the need ,after all you the one who ,has to weight the condition and presentation of the specific pc, some require fine finishes some not so ,your buyer will soon tell you ,and you'll adjust your offerings according time ,effort and cost verses return .Both as gifts and sale item,s .I know thats not what you wanted to hear but it's the best I can offer!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:27 AM   #6

As others have said, there are lots of variables here. What kind of projects are you making? What materials are you using? How will they be finished?

In general, I think that unless the project specifically is going for a rustic, natural looking appearance, then the saw marks should be sanded smooth. This can be difficult to do on those inside cuts, but the proper blade will help minimize the saw marks in the first place, thus reducing the sanding. By and large, I don't want to sand any of my cut edges. A good, sharp blade, of the proper tooth configuration, will leave a very smooth edge with no visible saw marks.
Old 02-23-2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Staying Positive

I agree with the others. basically if you are comfortable putting your name on it I guess it has been completed to your satisfaction.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #8

I am always surprised (and disappointed) whenever I see a poor finish on a great cutting - the piece then becomes something far less than it might have been (and should have been).

A great finish can hide a multitude of sins - and a poor finish ruins the very best of cuttings. Sanding is the first step towards a great finish.

A gentle touch (very gentle) with a sanding mop will remove the fuzzies and soften the sharp edges of your cutting. Unless you've been using a spiral blade the inside cuts of your fretwork should already be smooth - but if there is touch up needed then a rotary tool will do the job.

Jay
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:38 AM   #9

As the others have said it is up to your standard. If it is fretwork The blades that I use leave almost no marks and if the cut is contiuous and smooth I don't sand any inside holes. I run my work over my SandFlee with 220grit and then gentle sanding with a Mac mop. No fuzzies or sharp rough edges.! It has to feel good. Intarsia is a different ballgame. Tool marks and imperfections really pop. I take pictures of a piece before I put a finish on, you would be amazed what that shows.
I agree with Mike "basically if you are comfortable putting your name on it I guess it has been completed to your satisfaction."
For me it also has to pass the final QA my wife.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #10

For really delicate hardwood fretwork, I sand to 220 grit before I cut to eliminate any took marks on the surface. A raking light angle will show them clearly. I use a reverse tooth blade to eliminate the fuzzies on the back. Then a very light touch with a piece of 320 grit after the pattern has been removed to get rid of any glue or tape residue and to ease the edges of the frets a bit. I don't even try to get in all the fret holes.
As Jay said, a poor finish will ruin the best cuttings.

george

delta 650, hawk G426
sawdustus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sanding