Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
Gil

Default New saw/old style

I've got a line on a Craftsman #09 28693 scroll saw for $40 and one of the same, brand new and still in the box for $100. The first one looks well used but heavy duty construction. All cast metal and no plastic. Kind of like they used to make things. Can anybody give me any info on this saw? I can't see anything on line about it. I kind of have a thing for old stuff. Thanks in advance.
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #2

I'd say, just make sure you can use strength blades and don't have to use pin blades
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 08:36 AM   #3

Gil, I agree with Okie. If it does not use pinless blades pass it by. Also double check that model #. I do not find any such model in the Sears data base.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Gil

Thanks guys. The model number is the same on both units and they are owned by 2 different people so it's must be correct but I will check out the blades. I didn't know that pinless was the better blade design. Thanks a lot. Cheers
Old 12-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Gil

I don't know if this is going to copy but here it is. It takes 5" plain and pinned blades.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
Gil

Hey it worked. What do you think for $40?
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 PM   #7

Hey for $40 you really have nothing to loose. BTW I see your pic but I checked the SEARS/CRAFTSMAN site and that model number does not come up...Strange.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
Mr.Ed

Normal for Sears products...I have an OLD sears 7 1/2 inch table saw....works great ......BUT....when searching their data base i can not find that this product was ever made.......Guess i've been useing my imagination to cut wood for the past 25 or so years...............hmmmmm.
daveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
Gil

If this saw takes both types of blades, pinned and pinless, is that okay? I've never owned a scroll saw before hence my ignorance. I've only used a band saw.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #10

The number on the box is a stock number the model number for parts is located on the tool usually on the motor plate or near it. For $40 you really can't go wrong just keep in mind that it will have more vibration than a high end saw but with some carpet padding and bolting it to a heavy bench you can eliminate a lot of vibration.

Pinless blades are what most saws use you can do a lot more detail with the pin blades you have to drill a larger hole to pass the blade through, some patterns this is okay but nothing too detailed.

In God we trust, all others must pay cash!

I don't want no bargains, they always cost me more money.

evilbadger is offline   Reply With Quote