Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 11:06 PM   #1

Default So now what

So my wife decided I needed a scroll saw. She got me an Excalibur which I hear is pretty nice. It's still in the box because I have to make room in the garage.

Luckily she also got me quite a few books to go along with it.

My question is has anyone made furniture legs with one? I like to make tables and benches but dont like the store bought legs and it would be great to make some curved ones but I don't see and designs online. Have any of yall tried?

Thanks!
mikefinchmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #2

While cutting chair legs on a scroll saw is not impossible it is a job better suited for a band saw. Most scroll saw are limited to a max on 1 1/2 inches of stock and that takes a lot of practice and experience to cut properly. Typically scroll saws are used to cut stock 3/4" or less.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
cute and crafty

In addition to what Scott said, the depth of the throat would place severe limitations on the length of the leg you could handle. The way the band saw is configured, there are no such limits. You'd be better off enjoying the scroll saw for the many things it can do that no other tool can. You have a great saw there, so enjoy the ride!

Follow me on my blog:
www.scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com
handibunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #4

perfect. thanks for the help!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

But what you can do is some beautiful inlay and fretwork on those tables you will be building.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #6

A lathe would work great for table legs and such, but you could probably cut some for furniture for doll houses and I have seen some beautiful fret work doll house furniture. I have looked at a lathe for turning small things like pens and other neat things. I want a mini one, but will not buy one for awhile yet. Still learning the bowls and boxes. So one thing at a time for me. Have a great day Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #7

I saw a few ideas for bowls that I want to tackle first. I am thinking next Christmas everyone gets a bowl. lol
Old 12-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
Max

You can also make appliques for the table and legs on the scroll saw and glue them on. We had an antique table that was made that way. We thought it was carved, but through some research we learned how it was really done.

"...vegetarian is an Indian word meaning lousy hunter." Steve Smith (aka Red Green)
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #9

I do cut furniture legs on my scroll saw.......but they are doll furniture size...lol I love making cabriole legs. I have switched to my bandsaw, it seems to make it a bit easier now. But I've learned to make everything on the scrollsaw first.
wildbliss is offline   Reply With Quote