Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #1

Default DEWALT DW788 VS Hegner Multicut 1

I don't know if you had work with Hegner but from the description can you tell me if it is better then Dewalt?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6lRgQREx5U
The relese of the blade for Hegner takes more time then the one on Dewalt.
vrajitorul19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #2

The DeWalt 788 wins hands down in my opinion. I have a Hegner and DeWalt 788 and the DeWalt gets the most use. You can buy 2-3 DeWalt's for the price of the Hegner.

I have never been successful doing Christmas card puzzles (FD puzzle blade) or stamp puzzles (Sloan jeweler's blade) because of the Hegner tension and blade holder set up.

Pickens Puzzles
bbofpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #3

I've never had any experience with a Hegner but I wouldn't trade my De Walt for any other brand right now.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #4

Sorry to disagree If I had to choose between a Hegner and a Dewalt the Hegner would win.
It is a bulletproof saw with a much more vertical cut than the Dewalt and would suit my needs much more. I would not however buy the Multi cut 1 I would buy the Multimax 18-V.
But I would buy another New Hawk before either.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #5

Would one of you guys take my Craftsman.... please!

It's all fun
Terry
Craftsman 18"
Delta 46-460 lathe

https://www.facebook.com/SillyLillyBowsAndMore
Terry Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #6

ROLF, interesting that you say the Hegner has a more vertical cut.

I use my saws for puzzles exclusively and I have had a very difficult time, if not impossible time aligning the Hegner saw to do a 90 degree vertical cut so the puzzle pieces go in/out freely.

And forget about using FD puzzle blades and Sloan's jewelers blades. Hegner's blade holders just won't work on such small blades.

If I could get half the purchase price of the Hegner I would sell it.

Before I bought the Hegner I bought a Hawk. Never could get a very very bad vibration out of the saw despite trying everything they suggested. Hawk too the saw back but return shipping was on me to the tune of $90 and that was 5 years ago.

So now I'm using the DeWalt 788 exclusively and will wear one out every 18 months. Then it's in for repairs at the local DeWalt service center. I always keep one as a spare as it usually takes 3 weeks for repairs.

And I will now only buy locally in case there is trouble.

Pickens Puzzles
bbofpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbofpp View Post
And forget about using FD puzzle blades and Sloan's jewelers blades. Hegner's blade holders just won't work on such small blades.
There is an explaination to the Hegner blade holders not holding the small blades and is why I can't use it for coin cutting. The blade clamps you and I are using for are probably the middle size clamps which hold most practical blades except for the very small ones (or very big) as you and I have discovered. The solution is simple, purchase two .5 mm clamps that cost $44 plus shipping. The quick clamp is not recommended for small blades so you will have to buy two. Eventually I'll order these so I can try the Hegner with coins.

When you are talking about the puzzles not sliding in and out, that is a different alignment than what Rolf is talking about. He is talking about forward (and backward) blade travel which is much more pronounced on the Dewalt/Ex style saws and almost imperceptible on the Hegners. You can tune this on the EX, but even tuned optimally, there is still some blade travel.

The table tilt mechanism on EX/Dewalts is scaled up so in theory should be more accurate, and certainly is on the EX. But I would think once you have it adjusted correctly and locked in, it should be perfect.

My thing is that if I break a lot of blades (and with jewelers blades I do), the blade change mechanism (and top feeding) is so much better on the DW/EX style saws. Both saws have their merits.

--------Randy

Last edited by hotshot; 12-21-2013 at 01:17 PM.
hotshot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hotshot For This Useful Post:
Rolf (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #8

I am a big fan of the Hegner saw too. Once you get used to blade changes on any saw it does not take that much time. There are 3 different size blade holders, so keep that in mind for those who mentioned that you can't use smaller blades.
I would be very frustrated if I could only use a saw for 18 months and then have issues with it. I have been using my Hegner for quite a few years and zero issues. When you want to do some cutting, you want your saw to work.
But everyone has their priorities with what they want out of their equipment.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #9

Brian,
Who built the Hawk that you were not happy with?
Was it an older model pre Bushton? What model was it?
Randy you are on a roll today good stuff! Thanks for clarifying what I ment about the vertical cut.
Woodsman your comment" But everyone has their priorities with what they want out of their equipment. " is absolutly correct. If I were doing lots of bevel cuts (bowls) I would probably buy the EXcalibur because the table stays flat. But I must have reliability and easy blade changes no matter what.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 04:43 PM   #10

Which is the best saw? Define best. Cheapest...DeWalt/// Lightest..Dewalt///easy blade changes...either///Durability...Hegner///smooth running...either///simple to repair ...Hegner/// less back to front blade movement ...Hegner///good product support...Hegner/// Highest blade tension possible...Hegner----------------- I had a DeWalt that died after 20 months. I bought a Hegner and never looked back. I then bought a used Hegner that was made in 1986 and it still runs fine. All this is just my opinion...I may be right.
15" Jet

Last edited by Jim Finn; 12-22-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Jim Finn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dewalt vs hegner