Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Grobet - Pegas Scroll Saw blads

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
CD

Default Finishing Walnut Letter Opener

I am cutting out some Walnut letter openers and have no idea what I should use to finish the wood with.
cddust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #2

I cut some heart shaped necklaces for a friend, one had a tree of life inside and the other had 2 harts and I dipped them in golden pecan and it gave them a real deep look. The one in the center is a pic that she wanted me to duplicate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (53.1 KB, 73 views)
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Those are beautiful. When I made my letter openers, I sanded and then put on a clear finish like a semi gloss finish and then sanded with the steel wool and then did it again and then the third time I used a t shirt fabric to polish them up. They turned out great. Good luck on your finishing. Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #4

Walnut oil would make an excellent finish for that application. Or Watco Danish Oil.
10Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

Tung Oil works very nice too on Walnut.

Last edited by bcdennis; 12-12-2013 at 10:11 AM.
bcdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #6

I dip most of my projects in Tung Oil Finish and then spray with a Polyurthane Clear Satin.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #7

I got to remember to get some Tung oil next trip to Home depot or some where. I like the results of that. I have a book case here that I want to refinish this coming Spring. I refinished a table years ago and gave it to Mom and she took it to AZ. It is back up here now and in the garage so that table will be coming back to me. My sister in law had painted it a sky blue when she had it and I hated it so I stripped it down to the wood and loved it so put the Tung oil on it and it looks real nice. Now it had a good coat of dust on it but will look great after I get my hands on it. have a great day Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #8

Default Danish Oil Finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddust View Post
I am cutting out some Walnut letter openers and have no idea what I should use to finish the wood with.
Use Danish Oil with in a hour you will be done wet it down for 1/2 hour and then coat again for 15 minutes and wipe and let dry for 8 hours you are done. I never thought it would be that easy. I just made 10 letter openers in a case.

Willabar
Willabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:54 AM   #9

I am partial to natural Danish oil for a finish - bathing twice, wiping down each time, and then finish with 0000 steel wool. However, my work all has a lot of interior cuts. If I did not have interior cuts and it was something which was likely to be handled a lot, like a letter opener, I would be inclined to consider Tung oil as I think it probably gives a harder finish to stand up to handling.

Take what you do seriously
Never take yourself too seriously
Flying Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #10

I have built a lot of walnut letter openers, and i spray with 2 or 3 coats of poly, then smooth with a paper sack. The poly is harder so they wear better. Hardrock
HARDROCK is offline   Reply With Quote