Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #1

Default Newbie with Blade Clamp issues

I have a Shop Fox W1713 scroll saw that I have been using for a couple of months cutting 1/4" plywood and up 1" bass wood. Last night was trying to cut through some 1-1/2" black walnut and the blade clamp kept popping off of the lower blade guide (and bending the blade in the process). The blade was not coming out of the clamps just the clamps off of the lower guide. I was using Olson thick wood blades and Olson PGT #9 blades. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thank you
BruceBanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Senior Southerner

Just a guess, but perhaps incorrect tension on the blade or too much stress on the clamp guide assembly? That thick of a piece I would be real careful of over stressing your saw with too much tension and pressure on the wood trying to cut it. Take it slow and let the blade do the cutting. I would make sure there was plenty of lube on the blade by using a bit extra packing tape and or painters tape on both sides to try to keep it from getting too hot from friction.

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Last edited by Pinelog; 12-10-2013 at 01:13 PM.
Pinelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

So perhaps I have too much tension on the blade, what is the best way to know the proper amount of tension?
Old 12-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Puzzle Making Muggle

I have a DeWalt and set it almost maximum tension (4.5). Still, your blade assembly should not come apart. Maybe it's a mechanical issue with the saw?

In any event, I hope you get it fixed, Bruce. I have a feeling that I wouldn't like you if you were angry.....

Come visit at The Ferguson Puzzle Company !
Scrolling Days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #5
Senior Southerner

HulK SmasH!
----------------------

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."

Last edited by Pinelog; 12-10-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Pinelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:02 PM   #6

I have this saw. I don't have any problems with the lower clamp popping off. It did happen once and that was because I did not have enough tension set on the blade. I sent back the first saw because it was defective. It kept throwing both clamps off the machine and it sounded like a ride on mower. I sent that saw back and they sent me one that works properly. I don't cut wood any thicker than 1" and some hard woods are hard to cut so it will go slow on that. One way you can find out if the tension is right is to pluck the blade like you were plucking a guitar string and it should give a high "C" sound. If you are hard of hearing like I am, I just gently push just a tad on the blade to see if it will not move more than 1/8". So I do both things and then check to make sure the blade is straight up and down sideways and font and back. This is some thing I forget to do so once in a while I get a crooked cut. Don't force the blade into the wood, just let the blade do the work. I love my saw now and Mr. Fox does a great job. I let Mr. Moto do the tiny cuts like the leaves and berries I'm making to put on my picture frame that I made. This a.m. I caught all my tools gossiping about me.... yep,, I could see the halo's above them LOL! Good luck with your saw. I may upgrade to Big Yellow or the Excalibur in the near future. I just got paid for the work in Az so that is great to have that money. So I can now afford a better saw or a good sanding system. Have a great day Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:25 PM   #7

I found it hard to know how much pressure to feed the wood with when cutting thick wood. A trick i did was to use a scrap piece of the same wood and cut a short line then do a turn, if you are pushing too hard and the blade is bending you will see a vertical curve in the cut.It might not be much but it will show you to slow your feed.

In our house, if you have to bend over to pet a dog it ain't a real dog!
greatdane2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:33 AM   #8

Try...slower feed rate and more blade tension .
15" Jet
Jim Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have tried feeding extremely slowly, adjusting the tension and the clamp continues to pop off. I even downloaded an app to see how close I was getting to the "C" note for tension. I know an app is not the most accurate but it is better than my ear.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #10

So for those of you on the edge of your seat with this saga, I have contacted Shop Fox technical support and their advice is the try and bend the lower blade guide. Seems like an odd method of customer support, but I'll try it tonight.