Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #1

Default Laminate flooring

I found a couple boxes of laminate flooring at a great price on craig's list to nice to pass up. Have any of you tried using it for sawing. Its 1/4" thick and kind of a mdf material, it would be dusty to cut but might work. What do you think? Bought a lightly used RBI Hawk 220vs to replace my vibrating El-cheapo. Like a kid at xmas, can't wait for it to get here.
mikewix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #2

We have some scrap flooring in the basement and I tried it. It saws great but all that fine dust can get to you. so I do'nt use it. It was the very first kind of wood I used when I got my Moto saw. All that fine dust and not to mention that there are chemicals in the flooring too, so I heard. There might be some else who might have had experience sawing flooring on a scroll saw. Have a great day Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #3

Never tried scrolling it, but it will probably eat blades like you read about. I know it dulls my carbide saw blades pretty quickly. Be mindful of that and the dust, otherwise it should cut OK.
Old 12-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #4

The cheap stuff can be Melamene or formica ,or God only knows odds are it ain't wood ,tuff stuff ,I've topped benches and work tables with it .don't scroll it !!
Old 12-09-2013, 12:10 AM   #5

When I gathered wood to do the Nelson Beginner exercises, I grabbed some 'free sample' pieces of flooring from the local box store. The book has an exercise where you cut one side of 5 pairs of wood blocks with different shapes and then practice sanding and fitting them together. It seemed like a dark and a light flooring piece would work for each pair.

I haven't tried it yet, but as others have said, you need special blades to cut it and it may contain some toxins from the additives used to improve wear resistance.

But hey, it was free 'wood'.

Now if I could just discover a way to get 'free saw blades' ....
WernerArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #6

Here here on the blades. I totally agree as a half hour of sawing can sure wear out that blade. Even on ply wood. Have a great day Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #7

I doubt you will get 1 minute on that That stuff ,as it dulls the heat builds up and the fumes start ,any thing that tuff wasn't meant to cut with a fine blade of any kind with your face 12" from it ! IMHO
Old 12-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for your input. Think I'll find a different use for this stuff. Mike
mikewix is offline   Reply With Quote