Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Senior Southerner

Default New Project yields new lessons

I posted my UPS project over in the general section, but I wanted to point out the newbie things I learned while making it in hopes that some of the new folks can learn from my ignorance.

I wanted the ornament to have the lettering and shield on both sides of the ornament so I was using baltic birch plywood sandwiching a 1/8" piece of walnut. I decided to stack cut enough for 2 ornaments so I used 4 squares of BB, taped them up and then put the pattern on it. My first mistake was not taping all 4 pieces of wood with the grain patterns in the same direction. This resulted in the "S" grain pattern being in a different direction and also the shield on either side not running in the same direction. Of course I didnt notice this little blunder until AFTER I had glued up the project and hit it with a coat of spray lacquer. It causes the light to shine differently and brighter on the "s" on one side and darker on the other. Not to terribly bad unless the light hits it just right (see second pic) and then it stick out like a sore thumb!

My second and more noticeable is that I had a bit of wood glue squeeze out that didnt show up until I took off the clamps, I had sandwiched the ornament between a couple pieces of wood to give it a good solid drying. My question for the experts is if this happens again, is there some kind of secret sauce that I can use to remove the excess after it drys that wont change the color of the wood after removal or do I just have to try to scrape it off without nicking or scratching the piece? It isnt that big of an ornament so there wasnt much room to work with after the glue up.

I solved the alignment problem with the shield on either side of the walnut by taping up the BB, cutting the letters first and taping them back in place, then I cut the inside of the shield out, taping it back together, then I taped the 2 pieces of walnut on to the bottom of the 4 pieces of BB, changed to a bigger blade, and then I cut the outside of the ornament but I cut about 1/16" outside of the pattern line. This allowed me to take it apart, sandwich the walnut and reverse the shield for the back side since it is not exactly even at the top of the logo. After I glued it all up I used my 1x30 belt sander to remove down to the lines and give me clean smooth sides all the way around.

I really enjoyed working out the logistics of this project and I learned a bunch too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ups01.jpg (39.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg ups02.jpg (68.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg ups03.jpg (79.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg ups04.jpg (32.9 KB, 27 views)

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."
Pinelog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #2

That actually turned out really nice. I'll tell you the secret to turning a mistake into part of the pattern - tell people "its abstract" and people will just think you are extremely creative ;-)

Hegner Multimax-18
mol1jb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mol1jb For This Useful Post:
vgraf (12-04-2013)
Old 12-04-2013, 11:26 PM   #3

I will have to watch the grain closer. Thanks for the tip.
Virgil
vgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #4

What I do with glue squeeze out is, clamp for about 15-20 min remove the clamps and with a sharp chisel used as a scraper gently take out any glue. then I will re-clamp if necessary. I also sharpen a 1/8 dowel to a sharp wedge to get it out of tight corners. The best way of course is minimize the amount of glue used.

You did a very nice job with that, I really like the contrasting woods. He will love it.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolf For This Useful Post:
Pinelog (12-05-2013)
Old 12-05-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Senior Southerner

Thanks, I didnt think about a wooden dowel... I just happen to have a piece of oak dowel...

It was a great lesson in the bargain. I used the waste part of the shield cutout to align the letters where they belonged. That made it much simpler to get it right, If I hadn't gotten the S's on the wrong sides I wouldn't have learned about the grain and finish so I guess that was for the better. I would hate to have to make that mistake with expensive wood on a difficult piece when it counts.

"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."
Pinelog is offline   Reply With Quote