Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Default Excalibur 16

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to serious scroll sawing. I have a Delta 40-570 variable speed scroll saw. Is it considered a good saw? It seems to always want to break blades and the stroke does not seem to be vertical but slightly in a loop. Would I be less frustrated if I had a Excalibur machine? I am considering buying one as a new start.

rtaylor
rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #2
Staying Positive

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your post/request/question.

My personal feelings are you would way ahead if you can fit the ex-caliber into your budget.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 PM   #3

I have the Excalibur EX21 purchased new about 2 months ago. The DeWalt 788 is about 8 years old and still runs good, but the EX21 is by far better. If you are looking for a new saw, buy the best you can afford.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #4

Default What makes the Excalibur

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood-n-things View Post
I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum to maximize traffic and get you more responses to your post/request/question.

My personal feelings are you would way ahead if you can fit the ex-caliber into your budget.
What makes these saws better? Is it the stroke? The Delta that I have is much heavier and seems to be better built. Is the Ex heavy enough to set on a bench without walking around? I am all ears....
rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #5

I have the EX16! Great little saw! I don't do large cuttings so I've never needed the larger saw and the EX16 fit into my budget at the time. I made quite a few of Carole's bowls and really like that the head tilts and not the table! Bought it from Ray at Seyco and couldn't be happier!

Just my 2 cents

Charles
deanswoodshop (11-20-2013), Terry Murphy (11-20-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #6

I have an EX16 going on 2 years, it is the best saw that I had so far. Great to do bowls, intartia and all kind of cutting.
scrollerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #7
Jan

My EX-21 is going on 4 years without any problems at all. There is very minimal vibration in this saw, primarily just the hum of the motor running. I have left cups of coffee sitting on the saw table while sawing and not had the cup move.

If you decide to spring for the Excalibur, please consider buying it from Ray Seymore at Seyco. He provides the best customer service on the planet. A phone call to him will get you all the information you need to make your decision.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #8

I don't have an Excaliber yet, and I stress the word yet, but I do own a Dewalt 788. I love my Dewalt and when I first got it 3 years ago the improvement between it and my then saw ( a Dremel ) was night and day. The Dewalt is heavy enough to where it wont walk around on you but I would suggest, no matter what saw you get, get a stand with it. The saw will bolt into the stand and it wont move unless you move it.
The Dewalt and Ex are higher end saws due to their quality. The Ex has the tilting head, not table. With the Dewalt the biggest improvement over all the other saws I have used is the lack of Vibration and the smooth movement of the arms. With the fret work I do Vibration is the biggest killer of my projects. My Dewalt has improved the odds of a project getting done without the need for glue lol.
bcdennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #9

Here are the specs for the EX-16.

Length 27" (686 mm)
Width 15" (380 mm)
Height 17" (432 mm)
Blade Tilt Range 30 deg. (left) to 45deg. (right)
Throat 16" (406 mm)
Maximum Cutting Depth 2" (51 mm)
Table Surface 12" x 18-1/2" (305 x 470 mm)
Speed (variable) 400 to 1400 strokes/min
Motor 120V, 1.3A
Weight 54 lbs (24.5 kg)
Tom J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #10

No matter which saw you get, it needs to be bolted down to your bench if you are not going to get a stand for it. But as was mentioned, it will work better mounted to the stand designed for it.