Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Nexabond

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Default First Project - Few Questions

Hello everyone! I just got my first saw on Saturday and was anxious to try it out. I practiced some straight lines, zig zags and a few circles and then dove into a few easy projects - or so I thought...

The first is a pattern I made with my wife's name (yes, Michol, is her name). I should add that this is only 3/4" tall and maybe 2" long.

As you can see, pretty rough around the edges. I quickly realized how big pin end blades are too when I got to the H and O in her name.

The next project was a Christmas tree ornament (by Steve Good, I believe). This is where I ran into some problems.

I used spray adhesive to stick the pattern directly to my pine plywood (scrap wood) and then covered in clear tape. While cutting the saw dust would get under the tape and cover the pattern up. I basically had to free hand the star on top and the circle around the hole I drilled on the top. How do you prevent this, or should I just skip the clear tape for now?

I've got some 'real' blades coming in the mail, went with Olson's for now. These were cut with the stock blades which I know are junk. Regardless, I've got the bug now and can't wait for the new blades to show up! Sorry for the long post!

Last edited by AverageJoe; 11-19-2013 at 01:44 PM. Reason: fixed huge images
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #2

Looking good. I still have my first project hanging above the workbench. It shows the progress.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #3
Staying Positive

Prior to applying the clear packing tape which i encourage you to continue to use.
Wipe off the top of the pattern to make sure there is no dust on it so the clear tape will adhere properly.
I place my tape down from the center out making sure there are no bubbles or creases and then use a credit card like a squeegee to smooth it all out once i have the entire pattern covered.

You did a pretty good job for your first tries.

Don't become discouraged, and continue to practice, practice,practice.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wood-n-things For This Useful Post:
AverageJoe (11-19-2013), Corker2 (12-04-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #4

Considering all the "issues" with the tape and blades. I think they look good for your first projects.

I'm still very new at SS too, and am understanding the more you do, the better you get. It is a skill to make the perfect cuts you see on others projects. As Denny said, keep these (or photos handy) so you can see your progress. Make a few more items, then recut another tree ornament, you will see improvement.
Valkiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #5

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words everyone!

I think you might have helped figure out my problem, Mike. I did have a crease in the tape that I put over the pattern and some spots of dust under the tape. Boy does that tape flapping so quickly make your eyes go crazy! Haha

I'll hopefully get my new blades by the weekend and try some other patterns out. Thanks again everyone!
wood-n-things (11-19-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #6

I do it just like Mike except I use a plastic putty knife that I run along the tape. I call it burnishing.
As for the Olson blades, they are fine! I use both Flying Dutchman and Olson blades. In fact I start off my students on Olson #5 skip tooth blades.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:45 PM   #7

Keep up the great work. I too have a few of the very first things I made on my Moto saw, but forgot what I first made on my Shop Fox scroll saw. I did get better on the cutting and such, but there are a lot of people on this forum who have a wealth of information and you can always come here and ask questions if you have any. Some one will have some answers for you. I enjoy looking at all the projects and the like and I too use the FD blades. I did buy a package of the Olson blades to try out, but like the FD better. So I put the Olson's aside so I have them when I get in a bind for blades. Sooo in a little bit after finishing a pizza, I'm going to go down and cut out a frame for a place mat holder. There is a pattern for a picture frame that has holly leaves and berries on it in the holiday issue of the SS mag and I blew it up to make a place mat holder with it and I'll post a picture when I get it done. Keep up the great work you are doing and remember , you will get some really nice projects out once you get more practice and it is a lot of fun to see how things turn out. Have a great day Fay... I've been scrolling since the middle of last Summer so not long at all. So still learning.
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

Am I mistaken or did you sqy you sprayed the wood and applied the pattern? I spray the papttern and stick the pattern to the wood. and then roll out the pattern to remove any bubbles, no tape and I don't have the problem you mentioned...

My 2 cents for what it is worth. Good luck
HAMMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #9

Thanks Fay! Good luck on the place mat holder. I'm thinking about doing a pattern I made up that has some holly above a bell with a name inside the bell. 'Tis the season I suppose!

HAMMER - I did spray the back of the pattern, let it tack up for a bit and then applied it to the piece of scrap wood. I just used my finger to push the bubbles out from under the pattern. I'll have to try a combination of the methods I've learned today on my next project.

I'm thinking spray pattern, let it tack up, apply to wood, use putty knife or credit card to smooth out bubbles, then clear tape and smooth it out again. We'll see how that goes!

Thanks again everyone for the encouragement and advice! Glad to find a place with such experienced and friendly people!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #10

Everyone has their own technique for putting the pattern on the wood. I differ with most of the above.
I don't like sticky on my wood (yea yea) I first put blue painters tape on the wood, I then put the pattern on top of that. No clear packing tape, the only time I use it is to hold a compound cutting together for the second cut.. The friction reducing qualities of the clear tape (or whatever it does) are taken care of by the blue.
When you are all done cutting you just peel off the blue tape no muss, no tape residue and no sawdust under the clear tape to mess with your view.
Does your saw take pin less blades? I use Olson blades almost exclusively for the stuff you cut a #2 or 3 ( I tend to use smaller blades than normal people.)

OH and by the way for your first cuts they look quite good. The tree has some tight "V" cuts and it looks very round, both cuts can be challenging.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association

Last edited by Rolf; 11-19-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolf For This Useful Post:
Jack Sprat (11-21-2013)