Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 11:50 PM   #1

Default Learn how to cut circles and curves !

Any beginners having trouble cutting curves ? Here is something to think about, take a piece of paper and draw a circle , then take a pair of scissors and cut it out ! Cut as close to the line as possible, go slow and you will realize that you must be turning the paper as you are working the scissors. The same thing applies to a scroll saw. Also practice cutting on thicker wood , 3/4 " and you will see that it makes you cut slower and therefore easier to stay on the line . I've only been cutting for about 2 years and these things helped me, hope it does you !
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Okie For This Useful Post:
sweetea (12-05-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 07:59 AM   #2

Default Amen !!Amen!!

When You really think about it ,That applies to all cutting ,The biggest ,hardest lesson to learn is YOU are in control .The saw (set up Correctly, best blade and speed for the wood used ) the rest is control of the stable feed rate . SLOW down steer the force of feed speed to the continuously changing direction of the line of the cut to be made.

A slightly off line smooth continuous cut is much easier to duplicate or change than a herky jerky ,start stop staggered booboo .

Unrestricted steering and smooth feed are paramount ,set the power needed (blade , Tension & speed ) per work piece , Your control of the work piece speed and direction ,are the hardest to achieve ,especially when you are in a hurry or distracted !!IMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to Carl E Jacobs For This Useful Post:
sweetea (12-05-2013)
Old 11-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
Rock 'n Scroller

I agree with all the comments above. Also look slightly ahead of the blade and not at where it is actually cutting. Like driving your car, look ahead and you will steer in that direction naturally. I personally think that one of the hardest things to cut is a long straight line.
Mick
sweetea (12-05-2013)
Old 11-20-2013, 08:27 AM   #4

journeyman that makes alot of sence. I have been having trouble and loosing focus on where the blade was cutting. I think I will try your suggestion today and see if it improves my skills.
fish n fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #5

He is exactly right ,focusing on the blades exact location is counter productive ,That is already done ,(for good or bad )you have to lead the blade with you eyes to know what to do and when to do it!!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

I think curves are easy. It's straight lines that scare the pants off of me. LOL
Arthodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeyman View Post
I agree with all the comments above. Also look slightly ahead of the blade and not at where it is actually cutting. Like driving your car, look ahead and you will steer in that direction naturally. I personally think that one of the hardest things to cut is a long straight line.
Mick
I agree Mick. When my grandson first started cutting on my scroll saw I told him if he wandered off the line not to make a quick turn but gently bring the blade back to the line. Like when driving a car if you drop off the edge of the road you should not turn to quickly to bring the car back on the road.

This gettin old stuff ain't for sissies!
Stoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #8

Right again ,I think the reason for that is you know changes are ever present on a curve or a series of them and your really tuned in and anticipating your next move ,on straight lines not so much ,and we wander off .
Old 11-20-2013, 09:53 PM   #9

I've heard that advise about looking ahead of the blade but nobody has ever said how far ahead of the blade you look.
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 10:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie View Post
I've heard that advise about looking ahead of the blade but nobody has ever said how far ahead of the blade you look.
The answer is "enough, but not too much"

It's curved when I want straight, and straight when I want curved.

DW-788, Delta Midi Lathe
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote