Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

Old 07-29-2013, 12:22 PM   #1

Default Scroll Saw Tape?

I got an email from scroller about this new scroll saw tape. Adhesives & Glues - Scroll Saw Tape It looks like a neat idea, anybody try it yet?
mmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #2

I seem to recall a thread here a few weeks ago about it. I haven't used it. Seems a little pricey, but I suppose every pattern attaching method has it's costs. There are several methods of attaching and removing patterns. None of them are rocket science. Mostly the cheap ones require more effort. If you want to make the process easier, you end up paying for the convenience, in some form or fashion. Don't over think it. Try a couple different methods and see what works best for you and your budget.
mmiller (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Normal Member

Hi MMiller, I think Bill summed it up good - its a trade off between convinience and cost and what works for you. This does seem a tad expensive and I don't quite understand how it can be reused, other than I could reuse masking tape though I can't say I've ever been inclined to.

Good Luck
mmiller (07-29-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #4

If you compare it to Uline's double-sided masking tape, it is only a little more expensive. Those seem to be your only choices in the US right now. Painter's Mate Dropcloth Tape is less than half the price, but I don't believe you can get it anymore in the US. If you can get the Painter's Mate, grab it for sure because what a joy it is vs having to mess with spray adhesive!!! I think I would still pay the price for U-line or the Scroll-Tape if those were my only options vs spray adhesive.

workshopsupply.com also carries Scroll-Tape.

Here are Uline's double-sided masking tape prices: uline.com
Keith Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Fenton For This Useful Post:
mmiller (07-29-2013), ncsealeveler (08-27-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

Ive been using the old blue painters tape then spray adhesive on the back of the pattern placing it and covering with box tape. If you are going to use box tape dont cheap out, buy yourself a Box Tape gun. I had a bunch left over from an old business and a couple of guns that have come in real handy.
"Like a wind crying endlessly through the universe, time carries away the names and the deeds of conquerors and commoners alike.
And all that we were, all that remains is in the memories of those who cared we came this way for a brief moment."
Pinelog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinelog For This Useful Post:
mmiller (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM   #6

Why not just buy a Xyron machine with the removable adhesive.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rolf For This Useful Post:
mmiller (07-30-2013)
Old 07-30-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

i bought three rolls of double sided painters tape for 27.00 inc frt.in 3 months i have used 1 roll up and very impressed with product.only thing i see is after i attach pattern i have to sprinkle sawdust on exposed tape or it sticks to finger when guideing wood.
timc61552 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timc61552 For This Useful Post:
mmiller (07-30-2013)
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #8

There is some Painter's Mate Dropcloth Tape available in the US on Ebay again. Here is a 2 pack: Shurtape DF191 103353 36mm x 25M Painter's Doublesided Dropcloth Tape Green 2pk | eBay

He sells in packs of up to 8 rolls so you can save a few $ if you buy more at once.
Keith Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #9

I use large shipping labels (8 1/2 X 11) from Staples. In Canada it cost me $36.00 + tax for 100 sheets. Print my pattern on the label stick it on and cut.

Tom
Tom J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #10

I ordered some scroll saw tape and when it gets here I will let you know how well it does. I had been tracing my patterns onto the wood but now that I have a printer that works, I can now put the pattern on the wood with the tape. I had a little money in my pay pal acct so I didn't have that to worry about. My new saw will be here on Wednesday and the blades should be here by the end of the week and I don't know when the tape will get here. Looking forward to trying it. Have a great day Fay
Fay P is offline   Reply With Quote