Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

West Penn Hardwoods

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 12:59 PM   #1

Default Which scrollsaw (cheap)

Hello everyone, I know this isn't the right way to do it, I should wait a few more months and get a decent saw but...I am impatient to begin and see if I like it and in the meantime I can save up and get a decent saw by summer. My choices at this point in time are what Home Depot and Lowe's and Sear's has...in other words Ryobi(home Depot), Lowe's(Porter-Cable & Skil), Sear's(Craftsman)...From what I have read on the net so far is...1.)do not get Craftsman,... 2.)Porter-Cable vibrates too much, 3.)Ryobi has too many plastic parts...4.) Skil seems to be the one out of this group that had the best reviews. I just found this forum about 20 minutes ago while searching, and thought I would totally embarrass myself and go ahead and ask ya'll which one of these you would recommend, seeing as obviously this is a group of experts/pros...like I said, I am limited at this point in time, I would love to have a $500+ saw but that isn't gonna happen for a while
I am gonna go get one after lunch. Seeing what all can be done by these saws is absolutely amazing! I am stuck at home with disability and this would be totally awesome to sit in my garage and make neat little things to keep me occupied..and maybe make a buck or two..maybe, LOL.
Thankyou in advance for any help,
Trouble
Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #2

Well, I finally found a thread in here that sorta kinda answers my question, started by another beginner, most replies that suggested a saw were for the Porter-Cable, so...here I go to get it! If ya'll don't mind, i might come back here and ask more really newbish questions after I get it set-up.
Ya'll have a great day, and talk to ya later.
Trouble
Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:01 PM   #3

Make sure it allows you to use "pin less" blades.
The Skill would not be a good choice in my opinion.
I think the Rockwell is also only pinned blades.
All of the lower end saws tend to have vibration issues even some of the high end when not properly mounted. Of the three choices you presented I would go with the Porter cable.
I think these days buying a saw is a bit of a crap shoot even in the 5-700 dollar range regarding quality.
Proud Member of the Long Island Woodworkers Club
And the Long Island Scrollsaw Association
Rolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #4

I think the porter cable is the same saw as the Hitachi that Lowes used to sell. If
that is true I would recommend it. I had a Hitachi when I first started scrolling
and it was a good saw. I was later able to get a Dewalt and I sold it. The lady that
bought it is still using it and is quite satisfied with it. The table angle adjustment
was a lot better than the Dewalt and it used pinless blades. Good luck, make dust
and have fun!!
Rick
longrifle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 03:37 PM   #5

Buy cheap? You will find cheap saws very dificult to use which could be discourageing enough to make you quit.
Norman
north wood clocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #6

Check Craigslist. Around here, there are a lot of scroll saws offered at different levels and conditions. I bought one in excellent condition at about 60% off new price.

You'll do best if you don't jump right away but follow the ads for a month or so until you get a feeling for what different brands and models are selling for.

There's not a lot of demand for scroll saws so they sell at a good discount.

Mike
Mike Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #7

I started on a Craftsman myself. It was a great saw and it was over 18 years old when I started.... only bad thing was it was pin only blades. If there is a craftsman that takes pinnless that's what I would go with.

Also remember, you get what you pay for. Buying a cheap saw could really hurt your future scrolling. I used a Skil for the first time today in the wood shop at my high school (yes, I'm that young). I believe it costs about $100 and it was bran new. It was terrible! I couldn't even cut a smooth line. Instead of buying new maybe you can buy a little bit better one used from someone? That is my recommendation for a small budget.
w.2014.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #8

I started on the lowes saw, which used to be branded Hitachi.
Very good saw, I never noticed any excessive vibration issues. I have since upgraded, but I kept the Hitachi, and still use it on occasion. Its a bargain, if you ask me.
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #9

I bought the Craftsman 16 inch, Model 21609 several years ago and am still using it. After doing a minor change on the upper blade clamp, it was and still is a great machine. However, I believe they have discontinued this model.
Don R
Don R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Just Goofy !

Trouble, you are asking for trouble, HA ! I was looking at the Scrollsaw Magazine with all the saws listed, with prices & some details. I would go with the Porter-Cable also. But, that's only a suggestion. It's your money & your choice. Just make sure you use good quality blades & not those sold at Lowes or Home Depot. Good Luck & enjoy.

Visit me at--- www.woodcraftsnquilts.com
ubgoofy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote