Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2002, 09:50 PM   #1

Default help-just getting started!!

???I just got a scroll saw, and I dont even know where to start. Can I just get some wood (what kind?), a pattern, turn the saw on and try to figure this out? Should I find a beginners class (where?) first? Does someone where I can fnd some step by step beginner's projects to try?
Old 05-09-2002, 10:39 AM   #2

Default Re: help-just getting started!!

¬* ¬*You might want to check out the web at www.scrollsaws.com. It has a lot of good general knowledge on scroll sawing. There are a number of sites on the net that have info. on saws, their use, and some with free patterns. Just check 'scroll saws'. Hope this helps to get you started.
Bandaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2002, 12:12 PM   #3
Captain_Bandaid

I found a book called 'Scroll Saw Basics' by Patrick Speilman to be very helpful. ¬*Sorry, I don't know who publishes it but I think I bought it off the shelf at Books-A-Million. ¬*I would guess Amazon or B&N would be able to find it. ¬*A lot of companies sell thin plywood for the scroll saw. ¬*Try Sloan's Woodshed, Stebar, or any of the companies that advertise in the Scroll Saw Magazines. ¬*You are not limited to sawing thin wood with most saws, however, and I use my De Walt to cut up to 2' thick basswood, sugarpine and butternut.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:13 AM   #4

Scroll Saw Basics by Patrick Spielman is published by Sterling Publishing Co., Inc. of New York. This book, like the Capt. stated, is a great overall book to generalize yourself about the scroll saw, scroll-saw blades, upgrading imported saws, Safety Techniques and Setting up the Saw. As for getting down to the business of actually scrolling the best book around is the 'Scroll Saw Workbook (Learn to use your scroll saw in 25 skill-building chapters)' by John A. Nelson. Welcome to the world of scroll sawing, if I can be of help in anyway please email me.
Old 05-27-2002, 02:22 PM   #5

If you live near a WoodCraft store, check out their classes. My Woodcraft has a scrollsaw workshop. It's a one day class. It may be worth a look.

Kris
Old 06-10-2002, 11:11 AM   #6

Congratulations! I started scrolling last fall (after waiting 12+ years to start) and can't get enough of it. I decided to take a day-long workshop to get me going on the right foot. The 'Scroll Saw Basics' book was used as a guide for the workshop. But what isn't in the book are the years of experience the instructor had - he was able to share lots of additional tips & tricks. It was VERY helpful as I'm a person who may give up a hobby if I can't get going on the right track quickly Don't start with too difficult a pattern - that's why the 'basics' book can really help you out. Once you've gone thru it, you should have an easier time figuring out pattern difficulty.

Best wishes & happy scrolling.
Old 07-16-2002, 08:06 PM   #7

Hello...I have just tried to get my Delta scrollsaw model 40-530 to cut wood. I have never used it. It is brand new out of the box. i purchased it at a home depot store about 8 months ago. The saw will NOT cut wood! I did however get it to cut through cardboard....So does anyone have any suggestions? I am disabled and would love to learn how to use this saw ...It would be interesting to learn scroll saw crafting and maybe i could make things to sell at craft shows. It is very dishearting not to be able to understand this machine. there is only one blade with the saw...I need some help PLEASE....I would love all pointers and advice, even lessons..
Any and all comments & advice would be greatly appreciated.
I await your replys.....Kat
Old 07-17-2002, 02:44 PM   #8
FatEddy

Sheesh - don't know where to start. I guess the first thing is that one blade isn't going to take you very far and buying them can be confusing because there are so many different kinds. Which one you use depends on the type of wood you want to cut. Just for practice I'd start out with a dozen 2/0 and a dozen #2. As for wood get some cheap 1/8 or 1/4 inch ply and start cutting anything that comes to mind. Just cut and cut some more and it will come to you. Don't know why your saw won't cut wood - what kind of wood and what thickness are you trying to cut???? Once you get the hang of how the saw works and cuts then get a bood of simple patterns like 'Scroll Saw Pattern Book' by Patrick and Patriicia Spielman. There are others this is just an example. Hope that helps some. Feel free to ask any questions you have.
Old 07-17-2002, 06:18 PM   #9
Nancy_G

Is it possible that you have your blade in upside down? The 'teeth' of the blade must point down .....when you run your finger DOWN the sharp side of the blade it will feel relatively smooth, but when you run your finger (carefully) UP the blade it will feel rough and SHARP.
Good luck --- and keep trying !
Old 08-19-2002, 10:34 AM   #10
mdallensr

For scroll saw books, try ebay. They have Speilman's handbook listed today for $2.50 and they always have patterns. You may need to be patient, but there are always good deals on these books.

« - | Choosing wood »