Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

Old 08-06-2011, 09:13 PM   #11
living life

I have a Dewalt and a magnifying lens/light that I got at Office Max. I mounted my light on the wall behind the saw. It is right there where I need it, and is unaffected by any vibrations.

taking life as it comes and trying to make the best of it
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcscroller View Post
Here are a few pictures of my saw setup. I hope you find this helpful.
Thanks, that's just the kind of set-up I'd like.
Tom Orchanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 PM   #13

I stoped useing mine I found it slowed me down I guess trying to br too carefull staying on the line ??
qlty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #14

Magnifying topic should be made a sticky, it comes up so often.

http://www.scrollsawer.com/forum/too...ades/34068.htm

A word of warning about this magnifier.
The magnet base is actually too strong, once it is fixed to metal, it is very difficult to get off.
I keep mine flat on the back of the scroll saws base. Occasionally, I'll be working on a larger project, and I have to move the lamp.
Its stuck on so good you can't slide it around, so you are forced to grasp the stem of the base, and try to tip it on an edge. Once you do that, you can lift it up and reposition it.

Doing that yesterday, I snapped the base right off from the light.
With nothing to grip on to now to tip it, I couldn't even get the base off the saw. I had to use a hammer to bump it over to the edge, where I finally pried it off.
Luckily it was a clean break, and I was able to load it with jb weld, and reattach it.
Seeking to avoid that happening again, I tested to see how it would hold if there was 1/8 wood between it and the metal. It still stuck really strong, but with the wood there you are able to easily shift it around, or take it off if need be. So I cut a nice circle of scrap wood, and this now sits between the magnet base, and the metal it is attached to.

I advise you do the same, the stem cannot handle the stress of breaking contact when its metal to metal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7788 (Medium).jpg (68.5 KB, 207 views)

Last edited by Xray; 10-20-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Xray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 03:13 PM   #15
Jan

I have mine mounted directly to the table on my EX-21. No vibration.

Jan
Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #16

Tom, I had the Hawk 220vs and mounted the magnifying lamp to the saw, just as shown by McScroller. Only difference was that my arm was unpainted aluminum. There is a hole already in that arm near the back of the saw, and the lamp fits right into that hole. I got my lamp at Harbor Freight for under $35. They had two models, but I got the slightly more expensive one that had a hinged cover for the magnifying lens when I wasn't using the saw. It came with a clamp for mounting, but I didn't use that as the post on the lamp fit the hole in the saw arm perfectly. No bolts, etc. needed, and it didn't vibrate.

Excalibur EX21
RBI Hawk G4
Crabbyboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:41 PM   #17

I purchased one the magnifying lamps from Harbor Freight a few weeks ago. I do not have it mounted to the saw. The previous owner of the house I am living in now built a "workbench" from an old flush door with a filing cabinet on one end and 2x4 leg on the other end to support it. The end with the 2x4's he set back from the end of the door a little bit. Enough to allow me to clamp the light to the "workbench".

Dewalt 788 Type 1
Davisjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #18

I bought a lighted magnifying lamp at Office Depot yesterday. About $40. I initially mounted it directly to the saw base. There wasn't much vibration, but there was some. I figured it best to get it right from the start so I mounted a piece of 2 x 6 to the set-up table behind the saw. This allowed a stable clamping location for the light. No vibration at all now. I love having the light and the magnification. I doubt I'll do much cutting without it in the future.
Tom Orchanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #19

I have the Rockler one,which I love.........but I had a mishap with it.I was inside my storage locker,and smelled something smoking,like what an electric motor smells like as it's burning up.
The sun had come up,and with no cover on my lens,the sunbeam hit the lens,and like a lazer beam it totally melted the plastic base/switch assy! What are the odds of that happening,having it in just that position? Rats!
Luckily,I was able to graft on an on-off switch from a Stihl power blower,and repaired it.Doesn't look as nice,though.
So now I use a 9 inch cotton bonnet from my car polisher that fits pefect as a lens cap.

Steve
ossaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #20

I've since sold my Hawk 220vs and purchased the Excalibur EX21, along with the magnifying lamp sold by Seyco. It does mount to the arm of the saw, but there is NO vibration at all that I can detect, and the lamp stays where I put it. Better yet, it has the brightest white light I've seen to date and really makes the patterns pop out. It also has the hinged cover to protect it when not in use.

Excalibur EX21
RBI Hawk G4
Crabbyboater is offline   Reply With Quote