Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Donjor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM   #1

Default Which is the best scroll saw?

I am new to scroll sawing and just want to get into it as a hobby. Can anyone suggest a good starter scroll saw? I have looked at the Dremel and Ryobi and others but there is such a price difference (and I suppose quality).

I am open to suggestions.

Old House
Old House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 PM   #2
Staying Positive

I'm going to leave that question to those who own those 2 saws. I used to have a ryobi but I gave it away. It vibrated too much and the blade clamps for the pinless blades was a pain in the backside.

Welcome to the forum however.

There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.”
As You Slide Down the Banister of Life, Pray That All The Splinters Are Pointed The Other Way...
"Don't worry about old age--it doesn't last that long."
Mike's Wood-n-Things LLC
wood-n-things is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #3

If you are new I would not get a real cheap saw and be disappointed. They have a lot of vibration, etc. You may buy one and wish you got a little better one . If possible at least get a DeWalt as many people have. They are a good saw and then you won't have to invest in two saws.

Bob
bhenr99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:26 PM   #4

What ever you do dont get a crafsmen. I had one and returned it and returned the returned one to. I got an EX16 now well worth the money.
jpedersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
Senior give me a Discount

I have had four saws. First I had a Dermal, which I wore out in about three years. Of course it was doing a band saws job, cutting car and truck toys out of 2X4, I figure about 6000 of them. Then I had a Craftsman which was so bad I gave up on scrolling for about 5 years and gave it to a cousin (who never talked to be again, the only good thing that saw ever did). Then I went to a state fair and saw an RBI, Dewalt and Hegners exhibited. The Hegner was the only one that is not make waves in my coffee cup, so I bought that, and finally discovered scrolling. Later for top feeding I got a Delta P-20. The Hegner is of course the best, cost nearly three times the P-20. But they but do the job they are intended to do. The thing to do is to buy the most expensive one you can afford and save penny's until you can upgrade. I don't think I have to upgrade because I splurged on my Hegner with no regrets. A extremely good saw.
Attached Images
File Type: gif !cid_002a01c87348$d98b3e40$0a00a8c0@your27e1513d96.gif (14.2 KB, 210 views)

When a work lifts your spirits and inspires bold and noble thoughts in you, do not look for any other standard to judge by: the work is good, the product of a master craftsman.
Jean De La Bruyere...

l
Hegner 18, Delta p-20, Griz 14 inch Band saw
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #6

I don't think that getting a real cheapie saw for starters is a very good idea.

First of all, with the cheaper saws you will have more vibration, and therefor not be able to make as intricate cuts, and also changing the blades can be very irritating.

I suggest looking at the Scroll Saw Buyers Guide and buying the best saw that you can afford.

For a hobby saw the Porter Cable saw looks very good and is only $180. I own a Hitachi scroll saw, which is almost exactly the same as the Porter Cable saw, and am very pleased with it.

Welcome to the forum.

I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations. James Madison
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #7

I have a Ryobi but I wouldn't recommend it. It does a fair job and it was all I could afford at the time. But once it starts to give out or you need a part replaced they are some times hard to find or even get at all. And it does like to vibrate. If and when the opportunity presents itself I want to replace it. But for the time being I'm just suffering thru with it.

Dan A
Dan A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #8

Mr. old house.

I owned a craftsman 16" saw it only took pin end blades i figured out a way to remove a pin and reinstall it but this is time consuming and frustrating. I bought a pinlees kit for it but it was a pain also. I finally bought a used deremel saw and it was a step up both saws have alot of vibration and back and forth movement in the blade. It quit working so I went shoping and found the port-a-cable saw at lowes and wow for the extra $20. more than the craftsman or deremel it was well worth it. It comes with a sturdy stand light and blower and the blower works good. The blade runs true up and down no back and forth movement. Blade changes are fast and simple. It is the best saw I have used for under $200. so take a look at the p/c saw It is worth the money. It came with a 90 day return to store warranty, and a 3 year manufacter warranty. and they offered an extended warranty on top of that.
slotdrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 07:19 PM   #9

If you are patient, you can find very good used saws on Craigs list and sometimes on ebay. Look for Dewalts 788s or Hawk or Hegner, or Excalibur or if cheap enough, even the Delta's. Never buy a used saw without turning it on and trying it out. Many folks try scrolling and go on to other things before their saw is even broken in.

-----------Randy
hotshot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #10

craigs list tulsa oklahoma saw an rbi looked almost new and recent modle for under 600 would be worth the shipping
jim stiek is offline   Reply With Quote