Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

Memphis Hardwood Lumber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #1

Default Scroll saw classes?

Hi. I've used a band saw for years, and I received a scroll saw for Christmas. Does anyone know of available classes to teach beginners how to properly use the scroll saw? I live about 60 miles west of Chicago, IL. Thank you very much. I hope everyone has a great weekend.
virginia.adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #2

Hi and welcome to the board. I know that many Woodcraft stores have classes. There should be one in your area. With that said, I began scrolling about a year ago and no classes. I purchased several books, the best for beginners is 'Scroll Saw Workbook' by John A Nelson (my opinion). The best information comes from this site. Read lots of posts and practice, practice, practice. LOL Have fun and post pictures of your projects.

www.sandyoaksonline.com
Sandy Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #3

Default Lots of Help

I live in Aurora, so I'm not that far from you. I also belong to the Fox Valley Woodworkers Club. We have about 150 members, many of whom do scroll sawing besides me. Like most woodworkers, these folks are very generous with their time and knowledge to help you learn. We meet the first Tuesday in Batavia, if you would like like to visit. Check our website at FVWWC Home. I also agree with Sandy that you really don't need much instruction. There are some great web sites that can give you some inspiration (this one included) and a couple of books is about all you need. If you can't find them at your local library, I'm also the librarian for the club and we have several books you could check out if you joined. Send me a PM and I'll help any way I can.
ddockstader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Vagabond Poet

Welcome to the board. I, too, leaned on my own, so I agree with what has already been offered. When I started scrolling, I bought a couple of books and a very rudimentary saw that used only pin blades. Within a few years I upgraded to an RBI and have been going strong and learning every since. It takes practice and patience. There are some great books out there for those just starting out. SSW always has nice projects as well.

If I may offer one word of advice: be inspired and encouraged by the work of others, but set your own learning curve. Don’t rush it. My dad retired a few years ago, and he wanted to get into scrolling to make some extra cash (another can of worms altogether), so he bought a nice middle-of-the-road saw. I gave him a few of my books to help him get started, but he wanted to start with some of the more intricate patterns that he had seem me do. I strongly suggested that he start easy and enjoy the learning process. Nothing doing. He wanted to go straight to the hard stuff. I told him it has taken me years and tons of mistakes to get to where I am, and that I still leaning new things myself. He wouldn’t budge. So I gave him one of the pattern he asked for, a pack of spirals and decided to let him find out for himself. His saw has been sitting untouched UNDER his workbench for about four years now.

Have fun, ask lots of questions, and enjoy the learning process. And by all means, please post some pics and share your progress.

Rikk
Cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote