Welcome to Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board, an online scroll saw forum community where you can join thousands of scrollers from around the world discussing all things related to Scrolling. To gain full access to the message board you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

* Browse over 200,000 posts.
 * Communicate privately with other scrollers from around the world.
 * Post your own photos or view from 7,000 user submitted images.
 * Gain access to exclusive scroll saw promotions offered by Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts and Fox Chapel Publishing.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Support Team.

Go Back   Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts Message Board > Scroll Saw > Beginners Scroll Saw
Connect with Facebook

PS Wood Machines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
New Scroller

Question Reducing Vibration

I am new to this forum and scroll sawing, as I just bought an 18" Craftsman $200 saw. I have it mounted to a rather heavy board and then to an old computer desk ($10 from Goodwill). The saw vibrates more than I would like, but the piece of carpet pad I've tried under the saw or board does not seem to make a difference. Would a firmer pad, or rubber bushings to isolate the saw from the bolts, help? I am open to all suggestions - except buying a better saw.
George
GeorgeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 PM   #2
Fallen Angel

Hi George

Welcome to the forum .

The good news is you can probably do a lot to reduce the vibration on your saw without splashing the cash. Adding mass to the saw will do an awful lot to help. Some people swear by the placing of anti-vibration matting and bits of carpet under their saws but there are other approaches which are usually more successful. In fact, matting tends to lift the saw off its surface, decreasing mass and thereby exacerbating the problem!

Make sure you're working on a firm surface. Even the best scroll saw will vibrate if it's operated on a table mounted on a springy wooden floor. In fact, I can testify to this from personal experience. I had a saw which vibrated more than it should have, so I tested it on a concrete path. There was no vibration. This told me that the problem didn't lie with the saw, it was the environment where I used the saw.

A friend gave me a slab of marble which I laid on top the desk where I kept my saw and I put my saw on top of the marble. End of vibration . I'd simply added mass to the saw. Of course, slabs of marble aren't widely available but some people get round the problem by bolting their saws to paving slabs or by making wooden plinths which they load with sand. There are plans somewhere within this community for a sandbox like this with a floating top which can be used to compress the sand as the saw is used, thereby adding even greater stability. However, some people find the solution is as simple as putting the saw on a stand and fastening sandbags to it!

Gill
Old 10-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #3

I would totally agree with this. The problem lies with the computer table, so what is required is either fixing the computer table to the floor if possible or, as Gill suggested, add some weight.

My present saw is fixed to a built in bench with rubber pads under each corner and vibration is not noticable, but prior to building the workshop, I used a saw on a table top and was very aware of the vibration.

Sue
jigsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 05:55 PM   #4
New Scroller

I did the suggested test of putting the saw on the concrete garage floor. No vibration. I then wedged a 2x6 board between the bottom of the desk and the floor. Vibration is now insignificant, and there is still room for my knees under the desk. Thanks for the info.
GeorgeL is offline   Reply With Quote