Last issue, we invited you to join our 10th anniversary celebration by sharing the top ten reasons you love scrolling and Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts magazine.
The response was awesome. At times, I laughed out loud, such as when I read, “My saw never gets mad at me,” or “The magazine’s pattern section comes in a big center fold-out which, like other centerfolds, can really warm you up on a cold night.” I wholeheartedly agree with most of the reasons, although the centerfold one is a little scary.
10. The Fox Hunt: Several readers stated they love searching for that stinkin’ fox. Some get the kids involved and make it a family affair.
9. It’s Safe: One reader said, “I don’t fear cutting my hand off, like with the table saw.” I agree—the table saw scares me a little too.
8. Anyone Can Do It: It’s an affordable hobby and anyone can learn to scroll. Some folks use scrolling as therapy to overcome cancer or heart attacks. Others love how scrolling is not limited by their disabilities.
7. The Smell and Sound: “I love the smell of sawdust in the morning.” The smell I expected, but I was surprised at the number of folks who love the sound of their saw. One scroller said it’s like a meditation hum.
6. Alone Time: Responses ranged from “It gets me out of my wife’s hair” to “I love the solitude of doing a project.” One scroller reported learning how to make twenty-minute meals so there is more time for scrolling. Hey, I could use some twenty-minute meal recipes!
5. It’s Relaxing: Folks love being “in the shop with tunes and sawdust.” Scrolling relieves the stress of everything from being mayor to being married for 32 years. You forget all of your worries. “It’s mental therapy.”
4. The Community: Readers love being part of the scroll saw community. One reader said it’s like a big family, including everyone from the editors and authors to the subscribers and SSW&C message board members. “Everyone is willing to share their techniques.”
3. The Sense of Accomplishment: “I can hardly wait to complete a project so I can show my wife and friends.” Readers take pride in making something with their own hands and love the challenge of a new pattern. One reader said he loves “making that last cut.”
2. The Joy of Giving: This came up again and again. Scrollers love making beautiful things and giving them away. “I love to see the joy on my kids’ faces when they get a new toy from the workshop.”
And the number 1 reason you love scrolling.....
1. It’s Fun: “Every project is an adventure.” One reader simply states “Scrolling rocks!” This one’s my favorite and sums it up pretty well—“I'm a scroll sawing fool.”
You could be our next winner!
Log onto www.scrollsawer.com to find out who won the Fox Chapel scroll saw library worth more than $1,000 and enter the latest contest! Tell us about your favorite article or project from the magazine and then send us a photo showing off one of the projects you completed from patterns published in Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts.